+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Understanding forums: Trollspotting

Blog Entries

Re: Understanding forums: Trollspotting

Quote Originally Posted by Swami Salami View Post
    Is that an aircushing under his butt or..............
    Big John FOCL on that one there Swami, he never thought about that, so I told him about your "weapon" of choice, , Guess the cushion is just a "channeler" for the gasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Terran View Post
    I like the foot operated keyboard. It might be useful for avoiding repetitive strain injuries...but then it looks like our poor ET is going full bore with both hands and feet - courting trouble IMO.
    If PAC (Avalon Camelot) has gone for the greed, then AV has gone trolls only?

Quote Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
    hehe I was wondering which one of you was Bazil

hey that is what led me to the craterchains work so thanks, as I had never seen it before, ,
    Gale and I have run up against these "trolls" and many seem to have an agenda when it comes to certain topics "they" don't want discussed.

Great posts one and all, we all are learning something here.
    It's the questions that drive us, , , the answers that guide us.
    What will you know tomorrow?
    Have a question? Email me craterchains@yahoo.com

Prisoner (Former Master Music Guru)

Even Trolls love Rock & Roll

I hate it when two of them work together in tandem. They both come into a thread and take opposing sides yet proceed a major flame fest that hardly even touches the issues thus no one else can really back either of them up. They usually toss around bland propaganda ideology as a reality so even if you read it you feel like you are being indoctrinated. It is genius really.

They will eat up pages and pages, causing people to abandon the thread out of disgust and dis-interest in the direction the thread has taken. Some people hang around, seeing what is happening or at least determined to continue the discussion of the real issues but it is like trying to hear someone whisper while sitting next to couple arguing on megaphones.

This is also one of the scenarios in which ignoring them isn't the simplest answer.

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.

Blog Entries

Not to worry, that aspect is under control by the Janitors, , , FOCLMAO, , grins

Norval...I am so glad you are onto that...I remember there was this great conversation going on over at RS and there was this one troll poster who was doing his best to dominate it...a few of us kept getting it on track only for him to destroy the continuity....in the end everyone just gave up...which was a shame as there were people who really had high calibre perspectives about the issue.
    The 'moderator' system at the time was almost non-existent...now they are hot and heavy with the delete button.Don't know which is worse.

And if it is not too contentious,can I ask about the forum's policy on banning?

Their contributions are usually vitriolic or they belittle using sarcasm.Personal attack is also popular.
    Anonimity, it is one of the great marvels of this communication medium, and it's worst bane.

Forum trolls haven't been much of a problem, for me. luck of the draw, I guess. Where I've had more experience with them is in chat rooms. Surprisingly I had a pretty good run with chat rooms for a few years. (Yes, for years I too held the opinion that "chat" was something you caught off of bus station toilet seats)

I haven't been doing that for the last 3 months or so. There is so much and so many kinds of insanity rampant in political chat rooms nowadays, I just decided to drop it, for now. Life's too short.

But one thing about chat is, it's sound bites, not dissertation. But it also makes it "sudden school" for some things. So let me add another "tell".

Yer average troll will over a very short period of time, come out on both sides of any issue. They have no values to elaborate, purely stirring the pot.

Their goal is what my mom described as, "Lets you and him fight!
    Life IS mystical! It's just that we're used to it.

"An idea is something you have. An ideology is something that has you."-Morris Berman

Blog Entries

Then there is the BIG problem with MISinformation, DISinformation, MISdirection agents, or what we call IAC (Information Acquisition and Control) agents. Maybe this would be a good new thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Norval View Post
    Then there is the BIG problem with MISinformation, DISinformation, MISdirection agents, or what we call IAC (Information Acquisition and Control) agents. Maybe this would be a good new thread?
    A new challenge for me, really, as I have devoted 95% of my forum/chat time before September to politics and such. The closest you get in that arena is the occasional ideolog, who wouldn't call a pig pork if he was chewing on bacon.

The subjects like religion, spirituality, mechanics of the universe, etc. were something I avoided like the plague. Especially in chat - "no intelligent life there". aka FUBAR.

In 8 years of chatting I don't think I saw more than a handfull of genuine conversations that didn't last 5 sentences before someone involved wasn't "going to hell for sure!" from another quarter.

This tends to put a damper on things.
    Life IS mystical! It's just that we're used to it.

"An idea is something you have. An ideology is something that has you."-Morris Berman

Blog Entries

Hey yah Fred, nice to meet "real" people on the web now and then, it helps me to keep the faith in that there are other intelligent life on here.

When it comes to the bible as a Document from ETs it presents a whole new picture from what the religions have offered up for believing what it says. Me personally, I aint gots a religious bone in me body. Yet that does not preclude me bending, or bowing to one knee before the King of the known universe out of respect. Much like I would do so to any King or Queen here on earth at this time. I think all in those positions deserve the just due respect for the responsibilities they carry. (some presidents would only get a nod from me, , , if that, )

Quote Originally Posted by Norval View Post
    Big John FOCL on that one there Swami, he never thought about that, so I told him about your "weapon" of choice, , Guess the cushion is just a "channeler" for the gasses.

If PAC (Avalon Camelot) has gone for the greed, then AV has gone trolls only?

Gale and I have run up against these "trolls" and many seem to have an agenda when it comes to certain topics "they" don't want discussed.

Great posts one and all, we all are learning something here.
    And I just found out about this thread just now....LOL

+ Reply to Thread