+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Giant Breach in Earth's Magnetic Field

Threaded View

A Giant Breach in Earth's Magnetic Field

Breaking News from NASA... just hours ago

A Giant Breach in Earth's Magnetic Field

Dec. 16, 2008: NASA's five THEMIS spacecraft have discovered a breach in Earth's magnetic field ten times larger than anything previously thought to exist. Solar wind can flow in through the opening to "load up" the magnetosphere for powerful geomagnetic storms. But the breach itself is not the biggest surprise. Researchers are even more amazed at the strange and unexpected way it forms, overturning long-held ideas of space physics.

"At first I didn't believe it," says THEMIS project scientist David Sibeck of the Goddard Space Flight Center. "This finding fundamentally alters our understanding of the solar wind-magnetosphere interaction."

The magnetosphere is a bubble of magnetism that surrounds Earth and protects us from solar wind. Exploring the bubble is a key goal of the THEMIS mission, launched in February 2007. The big discovery came on June 3, 2007, when the five probes serendipitously flew through the breach just as it was opening. Onboard sensors recorded a torrent of solar wind particles streaming into the magnetosphere, signaling an event of unexpected size and importance.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...iantbreach.htm

Above: A computer model of solar wind flowing around Earth's magnetic field on June 3, 2007. Background colors represent solar wind density; red is high density, blue is low. Solid black lines trace the outer boundaries of Earth's magnetic field. Note the layer of relatively dense material beneath the tips of the white arrows; that is solar wind entering Earth's magnetic field through the breach. Credit: Jimmy Raeder/UNH
    "The louder the opposition protests, the more I know I am on the right track"
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: A Giant Breach in Earth's Magnetic Field

Leaks Found in Earth's Protective Magnetic Field

Already picked up by several websites and Space.com and Livescience just posted a few hours ago. Nothing in mainstream media yet

Scientists have found two large leaks in Earth's magnetosphere, the region around our planet that shields us from severe solar storms.

The leaks are defying many of scientists' previous ideas on how the interaction between Earth's magnetosphere and solar wind occurs: The leaks are in an unexpected location, let in solar particles in faster than expected and the whole interaction works in a manner that is completely the opposite of what scientists had thought.

The findings have implications for how solar storms affect the our planet. Serious storms, which involved charged particles spewing from the sun, can disable satellites and even disrupt power grids on Earth.

The new observations "overturn the way that we understand how the sun's magnetic field interacts with the Earth's magnetic field," said David Sibeck of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., during a press conference today at the annual meeting of the American Geophysical Union in San Francisco.

The bottom line: When the next peak of solar activity comes, in about 4 years, electrical systems on Earth and satellites in space may be more vulnerable.

http://www.livescience.com/space/081...eld-break.html

http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...eld-break.html
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Thanks for posting this information,Zorgon....its very valuable to me personally...although in terms of what I'm going to do for preparation....well I'm leaning towards the philosophy,'I'm here for a good time,not a long time'...lol

here's a website that has a list of major solar storm and news link to go along with them.

http://www.solarstorms.org/SRefStorms.html

I think this qualifies as an OH SHIT! moment...
    Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
    I think this qualifies as an OH SHIT! moment...
    ....yes....laugh....one of the few I've had lately....courtesy of earths banner and you tube.

If they have had prior knowledge of this (DUH) then chemtrails may take on a new meaning too

Blog Entries

I don’t understand how chemtrails relate to magnetic’s.
    @};-
    Tic Toc

well I cant say I do either, and I could be reaching on this one, but it wouldn't be to "fix" the magnetosphere but to mitigate the harmful effects of having lost some of it

suppose they have a way of putting nano-tech solutions or solar mitigating material in our atmosphere to counteract these undesirable effects

they are spraying something

made me wonder is all

+ Reply to Thread